Monday 14 April 2008

The Straight Edge

As usual, an email from Elberry found me elbow deep in the compost heap of my own scribblings. I don’t know what I was doing there. It’s such a festering mound of old prose, unpolished stories, and novels that have far to go before they can even be considered ‘half-finished’. You see, I’m troubled, dear Madeleyites. I’ve been troubled for the last few days. It all goes back to my hosting this year’s Galaxy Book Awards.

I managed to get through the show with the minimum of trouble. Bill Oddie was sitting backstage with a dart gun filled with mild tranquilizers. His job was to watch a heart-rate monitor and fire a dart into my buttocks whenever it became apparent that I was getting too excited. It worked well until I watched Russell Brand receive his award for best biography. I was suddenly filled me with such rage that the darts didn’t work. Oddie missed with one which lodged itself into Jordan's forehead. The poor girl was struck dumb. It was left to Dame P.D. James to leap up on stage and pin me down during Russell’s acceptance speech.

Now I’ve had time to calm down, I’m left to reflect on what has been a week filled with unique events.

First there was kindness when help came from a totally unexpected quarter. A complete stranger contacted me and helped me with my search to find an agent.

Then there was helpfulness. The agent rang me and talked to me for 25 minutes during which they gave me some very helpful advice.

Then there was frustration. Back up in Manchester, I was mildly scolded by a producer on ‘Eye of the Storm 2’. If I didn’t need the work, ‘Eye of the Storm 2’ would be looking for another presenter.

Finally, there’s vacillation. I’m considering returning to education. The last week's sequence of events has convinced me that I need to have some direction in my life. There has to be something more than 'Eye of the Storm 2'. And writing blogs is fine but they are hardly the stuff of novels. The agent told me as much, advising me that there’s no book to be made from this blog. It means that I have to rub out 190,000 words from my list of publishable material and to write something big and new.

Which leads me to my hesitation... The local University runs a creative writing course. I’m tempted to apply for it. How I’d pay for it, I have no idea. Whether they’d accept me is open to question. And how this would help me, I’m really not sure. But as I told Stephen Fry when he rang me on Sunday morning, since he's been in America, I’ve been missing that spiritual straight edge to run my pen along.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jordan was struck dumb? How could you tell?

Selena Dreamy said...

"I’m considering returning to education. "

A somewhat ambiguous statement, Richard. In what capacity, pray?

Teacher or student?

In the first instant, I commend your decision heartily. In the second - please refer to my blog...

Dreamy

Anonymous said...

Going back to education would be a bit pointless at this stage... no?
You have this blog and I'm pretty sure there's something in here, an entry or a few entries, you enjoyed writing about. It easyly develops into a bigger subject that in no time gives you a novel.

I'm sorry about the Russell Brand thing. Maybe you should write your biography! After that you'd be very likely to win the book award :P

Best of luck, for you!

James Higham said...

elbow deep in the compost heap of my own scribblings

Bloody coffee all over my suit.

Mopsa said...

Dick, you could sell your body, or Judy's to cover the costs - and anyway, we KNOW you're rolling in the readies. And perhaps Harper Collins will help with a contribution?

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't do a creative writing course myself, even if it were free, because i feel a strange but undeniable 'danger' when people try to tell me how to write, what to write, etc. i've learnt how to write by studying authors and films, by writing a LOT, and rewriting even more. i learnt how to write my novel's opening scene by studying the openings of my favourite films and books. i didn't discover 'rules' i just picked up ideas, things that work.

The Grumpy Old Bookman reckons an author needs to write about 1,000,000 words before he's learnt the craft. i wrote a 90,000 word novel about 10 times over, so i'm probably about there. i feel that if you're not just an imitator there's real danger in allowing someone else to tutor you, if they try to lay down 'rules', that kind of shit is commonplace in scriptwriting, they're full of crap about 'the 30 page plot device' and 'the 3 act drama' and so on.

On the other hand if your tutor doesn't try to get into your head too much, and he/she is fairly intelligent, just having someone to talk to about it would be a definite good thing.

Anonymous said...

Well it was a better week than mine - despite the fact that I am a brilliant writer no one contacted me! So nothing there - and as for education despite my credentials I am almost never asked to do any teaching these days...

You should count your blessings and if you get beyond Judys two....

lee said...

Bugger that Bill Oddie -he always gets all the good jobs :).

Penny Pincher said...

Hi there Clever Dick - I have just tagged you - and as you often like to tell us all about yourself I wondered if you would like to do the double desktop challenge.

http://sidmouth-town.blogspot.com/2008/04/desktop-meme.html

Swearing Mother said...

Oi, Richard. I've a little challenge for you over at my blog, total rubbish of course but I'd like to see your contribution.

Knowing you, you'll raise the tone a bit.

For old times' sake?

xx